I do a lot of local development with Internet Information Services and either ColdFusion, PHP or ASP.net and for the longest time I would actually run the websites on separate ports on 127.0.0.1.

Unfortunately running multiple websites on various other ports causes some issues like:

  • Port conflicts with other programs
  • Remembering which port is used for what website
  • Causes problems with some websites that look for port 80
  • Doesn’t really work with SSL (port 443)

So what I started doing was running my websites on separate private IP addresses which are local to my machine only, and this worked GREAT! I could load up websitexyz, bind it to IP 1.1.1.10, setup SSL to work on port 443 for 1.1.1.10 and I would go about my business.

The only downside was when I would run out of IP addresses, because I would only add about 5 to 10 IPs at a time to my local loopback adapter. It is a bit of a pain in the butt to add a bunch of IP addresses in Windows, so it would take me a bit of time to do this everytime I needed more IPs.

That was until I ran into a small batch script which can add as many IP addresses as I want in a range.

Here’s the code:

FOR /L %A IN (41,1,100) DO netsh interface ipv4 add address “ColdFusion-IIS” 1.1.1.%A 255.255.255.0

Simply copy that into either a command prompt or a .bat file and run it to add as many IP addresses in a range that you want.

Here’s the break down of the script:

FOR /L %A IN (START,INCREMENT,END) DO netsh interface ipv4 add address “INTERFACE_NAME” IPMASK SUBNET

If we take a look at my script above we see that

  • START = 41
  • INCREMENT = 1
  • END = 100
  • INTERFACE_NAME = ColdFusion-IIS
  • IPMASK = 1.1.1.%A
  • SUBNET = 255.255.255.0

What this basically equates to is adding 1.1.1.41 to 1.1.1.100 to my network adapter called ColdFusion-IIS.
It is a super handy script and saved me a bunch of time, I would recommend it 10/10 for local development.
Previous Article
P.

Phenom X2 955 + 8GB PC2-8500 = Win

Well I decided to get an upgrade for my current AMD Phenom 9600 setup, and that upgrade was a new Phenom X2 955 processor, 8GB of OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 memory, and ASUS M4A79 Deluxe motherboard. Now I’m currently actually using my old ASUS M3A32-MVP motherboard because the new M4A79 needs to be sent back for RMA (which made me sad). I also ordered a new printer and case for this setup so I can’t wait for that to get here as well.

But so far I’m very impressed with the results compared to the 9600. As an example, in WoW while in Dalaran my screen would stutter and freeze with an FPS 12-20 at any GFX setting. This was common through a lot of my games, where I could set the GFX settings pretty much as high or as low as they’d go and I’d still get the same FPS. This was caused by the fix for the error in the translation lookaside buffer (TLB) and L3 cache of the processor which made it suffer huge performance losses. But now with this new X2 processor I can easily fly through Dalaran with 40-70 FPS and no lag and that’s with only one of my two ATI 3870’s in the rig.

Can’t wait to see what else I can easily do.

C.

Compiling Samba…

I’m working on my DNS 323 to update everything so Debian will take over all control. This includes upgrading Samba. Now installing Samba using the apt-get call to the Debian package library proved unsuccessful, not that it didn’t install it just didn’t run afterwards. The package in the Debian repository is a bit behind in revisions so I figured I’d grab the source from the Samba SVN and compile it. Well after like an hour of compiling it errors out (bah!) with an error basically indicating it can’t find the main() function in one of the script files. Guess it’ll be a work in progress for now.