Well it seems my faithful cell provider sadly broke the Internet on their cellular network again*sigh*. I’m referring back to the previous problem I had with accessing any streaming services on the mobile browser on my Samsung u740 about a year or so ago. They eventually fixed the previous problem after about 1-2 months of me acquiring the phone and reporting the problem. This time around however they’re blaming it on their recent separation from a sister company and that they no longer support streaming on their network. Of course after mowing through several Customer Service Monkeys I eventually discovered that they no longer support their paid streaming, which I could care less about. But the fact that I cannot access current streaming services on the Internet is in fact a problem on their network, but not that they don’t support streaming. At any rate, I was finally able to submit a ticket to their data analysts about a week ago… still no response.
Well I decided to get an upgrade for my current AMD Phenom 9600 setup, and that upgrade was a new Phenom X2 955 processor, 8GB of OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 memory, and ASUS M4A79 Deluxe motherboard. Now I’m currently actually using my old ASUS M3A32-MVP motherboard because the new M4A79 needs to be sent back for RMA (which made me sad). I also ordered a new printer and case for this setup so I can’t wait for that to get here as well.
But so far I’m very impressed with the results compared to the 9600. As an example, in WoW while in Dalaran my screen would stutter and freeze with an FPS 12-20 at any GFX setting. This was common through a lot of my games, where I could set the GFX settings pretty much as high or as low as they’d go and I’d still get the same FPS. This was caused by the fix for the error in the translation lookaside buffer (TLB) and L3 cache of the processor which made it suffer huge performance losses. But now with this new X2 processor I can easily fly through Dalaran with 40-70 FPS and no lag and that’s with only one of my two ATI 3870’s in the rig.
Can’t wait to see what else I can easily do.
I do a lot of local development with Internet Information Services and either ColdFusion, PHP or ASP.net and for the longest time I would actually run the websites on separate ports on 127.0.0.1.
Unfortunately running multiple websites on various other ports causes some issues like:
- Port conflicts with other programs
- Remembering which port is used for what website
- Causes problems with some websites that look for port 80
- Doesn’t really work with SSL (port 443)
So what I started doing was running my websites on separate private IP addresses which are local to my machine only, and this worked GREAT! I could load up websitexyz, bind it to IP 126.96.36.199, setup SSL to work on port 443 for 188.8.131.52 and I would go about my business.
The only downside was when I would run out of IP addresses, because I would only add about 5 to 10 IPs at a time to my local loopback adapter. It is a bit of a pain in the butt to add a bunch of IP addresses in Windows, so it would take me a bit of time to do this everytime I needed more IPs.
That was until I ran into a small batch script which can add as many IP addresses as I want in a range.
Here’s the code:
FOR /L %A IN (41,1,100) DO netsh interface ipv4 add address “ColdFusion-IIS” 1.1.1.%A 255.255.255.0
Simply copy that into either a command prompt or a .bat file and run it to add as many IP addresses in a range that you want.
Here’s the break down of the script:
FOR /L %A IN (START,INCREMENT,END) DO netsh interface ipv4 add address “INTERFACE_NAME” IPMASK SUBNET
If we take a look at my script above we see that
- START = 41
- INCREMENT = 1
- END = 100
- INTERFACE_NAME = ColdFusion-IIS
- IPMASK = 1.1.1.%A
- SUBNET = 255.255.255.0
What this basically equates to is adding 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 to my network adapter called ColdFusion-IIS.